Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Kitchen Shelf

We finished the kitchen mantlepiece! What started as 'just a shelf' ended up as painting a whole area in the kitchen. It looks all pretty now though, which means it's good.
I had scheduled this one earlier, but now I'll be posting about it in week 4 of the 52 weeks of Organizing challenge!

The shape of this particular kitchen shelf was bad when we moved in this house. We mostly used it as a stowaway for random things. The people who lived here before us used to cook under the chimney it's a part of, and they didn't have a cooking hood or a similar thing to circulate fresh air. This led to the paint on the shelf being melted and mixed with fat. It was all soft and yucky and it was impossible to clean. Everytime you tried to dust it off, you pulled off paint as well.

This is where the paint was worst. We scoured the shelf and then painted it. Turns out the purple paint on the chimney, that we taped off with painting tape, pulled loose together with the tape. That led to us having to paint the chimney as well. And you guess it - some of the paint on the wall broke loose when removing the painting tape there. One shelf led to a quarter of the kitchen.

Scouring off the paint on the shelf.

It was, however, worth it. The purple, though it's a really pretty amethyst colour, made the kitchen look much smaller. Now it's white and the kitchen feels roomier and most of all, brighter.

The shelf used to hold clutter, now it holds decoration. The empty bottles are now sorted, the cleaner put back where it belongs. The two miniatures to the right were waiting to be paint-stripped, which I sorted as well.
The two hooks that held the towels were dirty as well and very hard to clean. We didn't like them too much so we took them away and replaced them with two pretty new hooks from Ikea.

Front view.
New Hooks

Redoing the shelf was a lot of work but in the end it was absolutely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment